Saturday, November 22, 2008

Reflections - Learning in English 111

This has been a rough couple of months for me due to juggling English and Biology together. It was alot of writing and memorizing. Gathering ideas for writing a paper is no joke. I always thought English would be easy yet I found myself racking my brains for ideas. Even though I feel that writing is definetly my weakness, as time went on it seemed to gradually get less complicated. Once I had developed an outline of my plans, my thoughts would flow a little easier. I had to work really hard to understand some of the papers I was writing. Im finding out from alot of people that writing is not an easy tas for them either. Some people explained that coming up with a subject was easy but putting it all together was another story!
English 111 has taught me a few things or two. This class has shown me how to break down compositions.Ive learned the art of using Rhetorical Triangles. One triangle shows you how to address the author, audience and to state your purpose. Another triangle explains how to use Rhetorical Appeals such as: Pathos, Ethos and Logos.
Pathos shows you how to write by envoking emotion. Such as humor, sensations and drama. Does someone or something in your life bring joy to you? Do they make you cry or desire them? Thats what Pathos is.
Ethos shows you how you relate to an audience through credibility and trustworthiness.This could be someone in your life that left an impression. A person that made their mark in this world that you greatly respect. For instance, I respected my grandfather for all his great accomplishments.
Logos deals with the facts and logic. For example, maybe someone in your life that made logical sense to you. Like your father or your favorite teacher.
The Purpose triangle teaches you how to use persuasion, entertainment and information in your writing. All these tools guided me when it came to writing all of my papers.
My professor used alot of visual aids which help to keep my interests. He used commercials, documentories and movies. After we were done he made us analyze some of them. I feel like this helped because I am a visual learner and cant take a professor that runs about the mouth. :)All though some of the people in my class did. Plus this is a very TV stimulated generation these days. Everything is about entertainment now! And this enquiring mind wants to know!
So, I learned alot about writing and me this semester and that Ill probably never become a English teacher because they have to read entirely too much. I also learned that I suck at computers and Ill probably take a computer class next semester. Or maybe at my work because they have a computer class every six months and at least thats free. Hopefully one day Ill strengthen my skills and my papers will be interesting to people from beginning to end. This was a good sememester.

No comments: